Friday, February 15, 2013

The Importance of a Book Cover

By Guest Author Jenna Ives for Writer's Gone Wild

Authors (both traditionally published and indie- or self-published) know that the cover of your book is one of your biggest marketing tools. It’s your chance to catch the attention of a potential reader and entice them to take a moment to read the story blurb and then hopefully to buy your book. Like some of you, I’m both traditionally and self-pubbed, but I love the control I have with a self-published title. I know what a valuable asset a book cover is, and what an important ‘first impression’ it can make on a potential reader. So with my second just-released self-published title, Programmed For Pleasure, I worked very hard on the both the subtle and obvious aspects of the cover. This story is a slightly-futuristic erotic romance. Does my cover convey that other-worldly feeling as well as the sexual element?



The title of your book is also extremely important. A reader should be able to tell just from your title what your book will be about. Whether your first impression of Programmed For Pleasure is erotica or erotic romance, the story itself, pardon the pun, is more than just skin deep…

Here’s the premise:

Tau Cetus police agent Jai Turner is being sent undercover as a Beautiful Dolls sex robot in order to bring down the planet’s most notorious arms dealer, Marque Callex. The police have never been able to get close to Callex, and Jai’s assignment is to use her sexual skills to satisfy Marque, and to coax information out of him on his illicit weapons dealings – information that will lead to his conviction.

Reclusive arms dealer Marque Callex only accepted an invitation from Beautiful Dolls because he needs a little stress relief. With his deadly line of work – and the dangerous secrets he’s keeping – he rarely lets anyone into his life. That’s why a week of free, no-commitment, no-holds-barred sex – in return for giving Beautiful Dolls owner Anson Carron feedback on how his newest model of sexbot performs – is perfect for him.

But neither Jai nor Marque are what they seem, and their week together has consequences neither expect.

One other marketing tip for indie- or self-pubbed authors (or those considering this route) is to get a quote from an author who writes in your genre to use on the cover of your book. In my opinion, it makes the book look more professional, more like a NY published book. Indie- or self-pubbed authors should definitely take advantage of every marketing tool you can, in order to give your book the best chance at being successful!

So… what do you think of my cover? Have I created an attention-grabbing design with my heroine’s inhuman starburst blue eyes and her too-perfect robotic face? Does my title convey what the book is about? Is my premise interesting enough to entice a reader to want to buy the story? And do you agree that these elements are important in marketing a book?

One other example of a cover that I think works well is my first self-published title, Snow White And Her Seven Lovers. I believe both my cover and title tell a potential reader exactly what to expect from this story!



I’d love to hear what you think of my marketing strategies. I’ll be giving away a free copy of Programmed For Pleasure to one commenter chosen at random

You can also find buy links at:

Amazon

Barnes and Nobles

Smashwords

Thanks so much to Liane and everyone at Writers Gone Wild for letting me visit with you today!

Jenna

www.jennaives.com

10 comments:

Jenna Ives said...

Thanks so much to Liane and everyone at Writers Gone Wild for letting me visit with you today!

Jenna

Alice Gaines said...

Very evocative covers. I especially like the blue eyes for Programmed for Pleasure.

Cindy DeFiore said...

This is an awesome cover. She definitely looks robotic, mannequin-like. The title and the image sell each other. This is one I would definitely stop and read the blurb for. You are correct, covers sell a book. Unless you are an established author, like Stephen King, people need to be sold on you. This looks like an interesting read. I wonder what someone would be willing to try on a sexbot that they'd be afraid to try with a real person..... :)

Jenna Ives said...

Thank you, Alice!

Cindy - gosh, you must be psychic! There is one scene in the book where that's exactly what happens. My hero asks my heroine for something...er...unexpected. Sexually. And it complicates the story even more than Jai's pretending-to-be-a-robot deception!

I hope this story not only has a good action plot, but also internal conflict for the characters as well.

Thanks for your comment!
Jenna

Anonymous said...

Great cover! I love the sparkly blue eyes. It really gets your attention. Good luck with the book Jenna!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, not only is that cover gorgeous, the blurb is HOT! A sex robot?? I can only imagine the kinky stuff those two will get up to! I am totally buying this book :)

Jen

Cindy DeFiore said...

yup, I'm totally going to have to add this to my wish list now! That's got to be an interesting scene!

Anonymous said...

Smokin' hot cover, and I totally agree that it's the cover that catches a reader's eye first. It better be good!

Congrats,
Tanya

Gail Hart said...

Welcome to WGW, Jenna! Yes, the cover model looks slightly robotic, and those eyes - OMG, how striking! Wishing you many sales.

Anne Kane said...

What a gorgeous cover! Hope it's a big success for you.

 

Made by Lena