Thursday, January 3, 2013

Taking a Whack at Creativity

Taking a Whack at Creativity  by Maree Anderson  (for Writers Gone Wild)

Hi y'all,

Before I forget....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I hope it's a good one for you and brings you hugs, laughter and love.

I'm thinking it's not a good sign when it's my turn to blog again (so soon??? *whimpers*) and the year's barely started and I'm already out of inspiration. Yikes. What to blog about?

So I'm swiveling in my swivel-y office chair, desperately seeking inspiration, and my gaze lights on the bookcase behind my desk. And specifically, on Roger von Oech's Creative Whack Pack. I think, hmmm. 'Bout time I had another squizz at that. And I pull 8 cards out of the pack and voila! Not only perfect grist for this blog post, but extremely relevant to me personally right now. Excellent. *VBG*

Here's the cards I pulled out:

1) Get out of Your Box: The creative explorer looks for history in a hardware store and fashion in an airport.
2) Look Somewhere Else: If you venture off the beaten path, you'll improve your chances of discovering new idea lodes.
3) Ask "What If?": Put some magic in your thinking by asking "what if?" questions.
4) Take a Whack At It: You can't hit a home run unless you step up to the plate. You can't make your idea a reality unless you take a whack at it.
5) Challenge the Rules
6) Get Rid of Excuses
7) Believe in Yourself
8) Give Yourself a Pat on the Back: What have you done well lately? Where have you made progress? What good things have you accomplished? What obstacles have you overcome? CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm especially fond of that last one, as it's something I don't do nearly often enough. I'm more your finish the project, blink, stretch... and start in on the next one kinda girl. So this year I'm resolving to take a little bit of time out to reward myself and pat myself on the back for the things I manage to achieve before I jump right into the next project.

If you don't have your very own Creative Whack Pack and are hanging out for a way to give yourself a regular kick up the, ah, wherever your creativity lurks there's always the Creative Whack Pack app *g*

And before I go, make sure you ALL do Number 8!!!

:-)
Maree






4 comments:

Gail Hart said...

Happy New Year, Maree! And you're so right, all of us writers need to remember #8, because it's so easy to get discouraged in this business.

Pat Garcia said...

Happy New Year and I wih you all the best.
Ciao,
Patricia

Liane Gentry Skye said...

I'm going to give you a pat on te back, too. Well done! Thanks for the whack. :)

Maree Anderson said...

Thanks, ladies! Wishing you all the best for 2013, too :)

 

Made by Lena